Contact us if you're in the New York and New Jersey area for a FREE consultation.
We will guide you through the process of your injury case. Hablamos Español.

What To Do If You Slipped and Fell On Snow Or Ice in New York City

Written by James Hunt, Esq. on March 2nd, 2021
What To Do If You Slipped and Fell On Snow Or Ice in New York City
Walking the streets of New York City in the wintertime can be a treacherous experience.
Fortunately, if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in New York City, New York laws permit you to potentially hold a property manager or owner responsible if:
  • The owner/manager caused an unsafe or hazardous condition by not removing ice or snow in a timely manner.
  • The owner/manager knew about the ice or snow but did not take steps to remove or fix it.
  • The owner/manager should have known about the ice or snow because a reasonable person taking care of the property would have discovered and removed the unsafe condition.
The statistics on slip and fall injuries in New York are frightening. For example, for the year of 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a whopping 42,480 workplace injuries and illnesses involving ice, sleet or snow that required at least one day away from work to recuperate – and that does not even include non-workplace injuries. And according to the New York Department of Health, falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths, hospitalizations and emergency department visits among adults 65 and older. In fact, the New York Department of Health reported that during each day in 2014, there were 304 emergency department visits, 143 hospitalizations and 3 deaths due to falls among residents 65 years and older.

If you have been injured after slipping and falling on snow or ice, you should immediately take the following steps:

Report the incident. You should notify the property owner or manager of the accident and what happened. You may also want to contact the police in order to have a police report written up. If you were injured at a business or in a parking lot, you should immediately notify the manager of the business or store adjacent to the parking lot. Notifying the owner not only will assist with your case, but you are also providing the owner with notice so that other people will not be injured at the same location again in the future. You will want to obtain the accident report from the owner or manager as soon as possible. If you are seriously hurt, you should call an ambulance.

Document the scene. If you can, make sure to take pictures and video of the area on which you fell and were injured. It is important to obtain photographic evidence of what the sidewalk or area looked like at the time you were injured. Try to get the names and contact information of any witnesses who may have seen you fall and can describe the scene. Also obtain the names, titles, addresses and phone numbers of any managers or employees at the area. Try to write down the names of any businesses that are adjacent to the area on which you fell. Snow and ice may be difficult to photograph, so try to get close up photos and photos with objects in the background to show the proper scale or context of the ice or snow.

Seek medical treatment and document your injuries. You should seek medical treatment for your injuries immediately. In addition, you should document your injuries by taking photos of any injuries and obtaining any medical records from hospitals or physicians who have treated you. You should also keep all receipts of any expenses you incur as a result, even something as little as buying aspirin at the pharmacy. You should also start a written or video journal of how your injuries have impacted your life and how your recovery is coming along.

Do not speak with an insurance adjuster. Many times, the insurance company for the owner or property manager might contact you to ask about your injuries and about the incident. They may even offer you some money for your injuries. Be very careful – they are not your friends and do not have your best interests in mind. To the contrary, they are only interested in giving you the least amount of compensation possible. And do not sign any papers, like a waiver or release, without speaking to an attorney first.

Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney. It is important to contact an attorney with experience handling slip and fall cases. These types of cases can be complicated, and there are a number of laws and regulations that could apply to your case. You need an attorney with experience to guide you through the process and fight for your rights.

NYC Slip and Fall Lawyers has represented many New Yorkers who have been seriously injured in slip and fall accidents in New York City and the surrounding Boroughs. While you may have a valid premises liability claim, it is very important to begin examining the case as soon as possible. That is why you should consult with a New York City slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.

Our attorneys will talk to you for FREE to discuss your legal options and next steps for your case. To get your free consultation, contact us here. Hablamos Español.

Attorney Advertising.
FB Comments Will Be Here (placeholder)
About NYC Slip and Fall Lawyers
NYC Slip and Fall Lawyers is committed to answering your questions about Slips and Falls, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, and Pedestrian / Bicycle Accident law issues in New York and New Jersey.

We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

About Author: James Hunt

James is a former Big Law attorney who trained at one of the biggest and most prestigious law firms in the world. He now uses that unique experience and training to help his injured clients fight for justice against “the big guys,” including negligent corporations and greedy insurance companies.
James Hunt, Esq.
NYC Slip and Fall Lawyers
5 Penn Plaza - Suite 2334
New York, NY 10001
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.